An owner, who is defined as the person, persons or legal entity that holds legal title to a Residential Rental Property must provide their name, business and personal contact information (no public or private post office boxes) and an email address.
The following outlines the appropriate owner and contact information required for multiple owners or LLC owners of rental properties located within the City limits of Charlotte.
• Multiple owners: the person who has the legal authority to act on behalf of the other owners
• Corporation: a registered agent and/or officer who has the authority to act on behalf of the corporation
• Partnership: the managing partner and one alternative who have the legal authority to act on behalf of the partnership
• Unincorporated association or other entity: a person who has the legal authority to act on behalf of the association or entity
If a property management company is responsible for managing the property, list the company name, address, telephone number, email address and name of contact person. To read more about the registration requirements, please refer to Section6-582 of the ordinance.
OWNER INFORMATION GUIDELINES
Once entered, information given CANNOT be changed by you. Please check to make sure that the information given is correct before moving on to the next section.
If you realize a mistake was made after entering the information, please contact one of the rental analysts who can correct the information. The phone number to call is 704-432-6044.
OWNER REGISTRATION GUIDELINES:*
1. Owner Information:
- Complete all required fields for the owner information. They are marked with an asterisk (*).
- This section must be completed even if property is managed by another person/company.
- Please check to make sure that the information is correct before moving on to the other sections.
- If you have another responsible party, please proceed to the section below the owner information.
2. Other Responsible Party:
- Complete all fields for contact information
- E-mail provided must belong to a specific person in the company. Do not put the Management Company’s website address such as www.cmpd.org as the email address.
- The email address provided should be specific to the company employee who you wish to receive emails concerning police calls for service or reported criminal incidents at the rental property location you are registering.
3. Once you have entered the owner information and all applicable contact information, please click the “Proceed to Rental Address Screen” icon at the bottom of the page and proceed to the next page where the rental property is to be registered.
RENTAL PROPERTY REGISTRATION GUIDELINES
1. Complete all fields marked with an asterisk (*).
- You must use the complete property address (street number, name and direction if any). Do not include unit numbers in this address field.
- Charlotte will automatically be entered in the “City” field. Registration is for properties only within Charlotte city limits.
Note 1: If an apartment complex, list the name of the complex in the appropriate field. Each apartment building is required to be registered separately. For example, Camden Ballantyne has multiple buildings in their apartment complex. 9601 East Commons Blvd in one of the buildings and has multiple units within it. The building (9601 East Commons Blvd) would be registered only. The individual apartments (units) are not to be registered.
Note 2: If a condo building where there is one common building address but units are owned separately, each RENTAL unit will need to be registered.
2. Once you have entered the complete property address, click the “Submit” icon at the bottom of the page.
- The following question will then appear: The Rental Address has been registered successfully. Would you like to register another building in the same complex?
• If Yes, you will be returned to the Property Rental Address screen. This screen will be populated with your previously entered property’s address, EXCEPT the block number which will be blank. You will then be able to change any of the fields for the property address without needing to re-enter all the fields. All street addresses associated with the complex must be registered.
• If No, then a second message will appear: Would you like to register another rental property?
o If Yes, you will be returned to the Owner Information screen. This screen will be populated with ONLY the previously entered Legal Property Owner Information. Other contacts on that screen will be blank. You will then be able to then enter the applicable contacts for that rental property.
o If No, the registration form will be submitted and an email notification will be sent to you letting you know the process was completed.
It may be necessary to contact you for additional information. Please enter your name and a home or work number where you may be reached.
Fields marked with an asterisk(*) are required to ensure prompt processing.